+44 7831 561042

The Three Graces

hover over image to zoom

Antonio Canova’s The Three Graces

John Russell, the 6th Duke of Bedford, commissioned a version of this work following a visit to Canova's studio in Rome in 1814. There he saw and was immensely impressed by a carving of the Graces which Canova had produced for the Empress Josephine. When the Empress died in May of the same year the Duke offered to buy the completed piece, but was unsuccessful as Josephine’s son Eugène claimed it. (His son Maximilian brought it to St. Petersburg, and it can now be found in the Hermitage Museum). Undeterred, the Duke commissioned another version for himself. Completed in 1817, it was installed at the Duke’s residence in Woburn Abbey in 1819. A further version of the sculpture is owned jointly by the Victoria and Albert Museum and the National Galleries of Scotland.

This copy, reproduced in Italy from alabaster during the mid 19th century, stands upon a separate carved base. Overall height 24.5 inches. The base w:11.5 in x d:7.5 in x h:6.25 in

Cracks to the centre section of the base and to the ankles of the third grace.  

Item Code: 3374

£ 2950

Enquire about this item