+44 7831 561042

Souvenir of H.M.S. Royal George

hover over image to zoom

A fine model of an Admiralty Pattern Ship's Anchor, finely, and almost imperceptibly engraved in sript to one side of the shank 'Royal George'.

 

English cira 1840.

 

4 3/4 in x 4 5/8 in x 3 1/4 in 

 

When launched from Woolwich Dockyard in 1756 HMS Royal George was the largest warship in the world. She was immediately deployed in the Seven Years War and was Sir Edward hawke's flagship at the Battle of Quiberon Bay in 1759.

Laid up at the end of that war in 1763 she was reactivated for the American Revolutionary War in 1777.

At the Battle of Cape St. Vincent, Royal George was the flagship of Rear Admiral Robert Digby. 

 

HMS Royal George was sunk in 1782, anchored at Spithead off Portsmouth, when being careened in order to clean her hull. 800 lives were lost making this one of the most deadly maritime disasters in British territorial waters. As a hazard to shipping through the Solent, and for the potential reward of salvage, several attempts were made to raise the vessel. In 1782, Charles Spalding recovered 15 bronze cannon using a diving bell of his own design. Between 1834 and 1836, brothers Charles and John Deane recovered more cannon using a diving helmet that they had invented. Eventually, in 1839, a team of Royal Engineers under Charles Pasley began operations to break up the wreck using barrels of gunpowder. In 1840 they successfully destroyed the wreck in an explosion that shattered windows several miles distant in Gosport and Portsmouth. Following all of these attempts at salvage, souvenirs made of recovered materials were made, such as this model anchor.

 

 

 

Item Code: 4770

£ 580

Enquire about this item