+44 7831 561042

Old Stubbington House

hover over image to zoom

Old Stubbington House, Hampshire, painted in oil on canvas and within the original late 18th /early 19th century gilt and gesso decorated frame. 

o.s:19 3/8 in x 15 1/2 in 

 

Old Stubbington House was founded as a school in 1841 by the Reverend William Foster and, perhaps due to its location and association with the navy, the School became known as ‘the cradle of the navy’. The academic researcher into the history of education, Donald Leinster-Mackay, records that ‘no school had stronger ties with the Royal Navy in the nineteenth century than Stubbington House’.  Constructed around 1715, supposedly with proceeds from contracts to supply the army and navy, the square Queen Anne house is seen here with its mid Georgian façade of 5 bays and 3 storeys in grey brick with red dressing and an open pedimented porch. It was situated around 1 mile from the Solent in around 50 acres of parkland, of which half was later used by Stubbington House School. 

 
 

Item Code: 4157

£ 4950

Enquire about this item