+44 7831 561042

John Paul Cooper Shagreen Box

hover over image to zoom

A small circular silver bound shagreen box attributed to John Paul Cooper.

 

English circa 1920.

 

dia.2 1/2 in x h.1 3/8  in

 

John Paul Cooper (1869-1931) trained as an architect for a number of years and worked in the offices of J. D. Sedding and Henry Wilson. In 1897, on Wilson's advice, he took up metalwork. He specialised in the use of unusual materials, notably shagreen, which he began using in 1903, long before it became fashionable in the 1920s and 1930s. Cooper taught at the Birmingham School of Art, where he was head of the metal work department from 1904 to 1907 later moving to Kent where he finally set up workshop in his house, which he designed himself, at Westerham.  He was largely responsible for reviving the use of shagreen.

 

Item Code: 3617

£ 795

Enquire about this item