+44 7831 561042

A Fine Piqué-Work Handled Cane

hover over image to zoom

A Fine Piqué-Work, Ivory Handled Cane, English circa 1700, the design of opposing and interlocking 'C' scrolls interspersed with a five lobed flower, united to the malacca cane with a  lapette-cut silver coloured metal collar finely engraved with the names of two previous owners. The first, in a  beautiful  17th century script, is a John Benson, the later, S. Robinson Esq. J.P. Hartlepool. 

36.5 inches long.

Stephen Robinson was born in 1794, the son of John Robinson, a colliery engineer. He was little schooled. When just 12 years old, his father withdrew him from school to temporarily work the colliery engine, the man in charge having died. He never returned to school. However, in later years he taught himself all he needed to know and became a leading authority on all mining matters. He was a friend and associate of George Stephenson and worked for a time as an engine man under his father. He became a resident of Hartlepool around 1834 and was appointed a lecturer on mechanics at Durham College. Among his many achievements was the design for the lighthouse on Heugh promontory; the first lighthouse to be illuminated by gas. A little later he designed the town’s new pier. As engineer to the Hartlepool Dock and Railway Company he constructed the Victoria Dock, which had been designed by John Rennie, amending the final design to suit the conditions found to exist.When Hartlepool came under the Municiple Act in 1858 he was elected the town’s first mayor and was made Alderman as well as Justice of the Peace.       He died in 1881.

These Malacca canes with pique worked ivory handles are thought likely to emanate from one workshop. A good few are recorded as dated, between 1687 and 1717; our craftsman most probably a Huguenot fleeing France following the Edict of Nantes in 1665.  

 
 

Item Code: 4282

£ 2950

Enquire about this item